Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Onions

Finally harvested all of the remaining onions, carrots, and brusselsprouts. I ended up with about three milk crates (size to the left) full of Walla Walla onions. Some were as big as an infants' head. I learned after the fact that Walla Wallas are not good storage onions, so have given some away, may dry a bunch, and will try to use the rest.
My carrots taste great - just the way carrots should taste. Their appearance may be a bit off-putting (little spurs jutting out, pimples, more) but their flavor is such genuine CARROT.
For next year I'll have to rethink growing brusselsprouts - cabbageworms are such a pain, and it's essential to keep after them continuously to avoid holes and little worms burrowed into the sprouts. They don't seem quite as drawn to cabbages, so maybe I'll just grow a few of those next summer and give b-sprouts a rest for a year.
I ordered a shipment of planting garlic that should be arriving soon; ordered more than last year. This year's garlic turned out very well, just not enough.
I suspect I will change what I plant next year quite a bit. I also need to move all of my raised beds away from the 6'-tall privacy fence that shades them from the south; the soil in those beds stays cold too long, because it's out of the sun into the growing season. Should have thought of that when I set them up......

No comments:

Post a Comment