Thursday, October 8, 2009

Harvest & storage of carrots

Last year I dug a shallow hole out in the dirt sunroom floor in which to store some carrots. It bore no resemblance to a root cellar, though that was what I was striving for. What a joke. This year I'm trying something else. My Organic Gardening Encyclopedia (Rodale Press) recommends storing carrots in bins or boxes, and layering them in peat moss, then covering with straw. So I'm trying that. I haven't harvested all my carrots & onions yet, but the carrots I've dug up so far are going in the bin. Then I'll either store it in the cold spare room inside the house, or keep it out in the garage. As for the onions - since I opted to grow Walla Wallas, and they're not a great storing variety, I've been giving some away. The additional 20-30 I have I'll try to use up, or will chop them up and dehydrate.

I haven't come across the monarch chrysalises yet; I assume they've gone to that stage since the caterpillars disappeared a few weeks ago. Guess they could have been munched by a bird.

I was getting intermittent raspberries through last weekend, but no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment