Monday, September 29, 2008

A "root" cellar

What a beautiful day today! Sunny and warm, blue sky, new snow up in the mountains. Valley potato harvesting is going strong. Today I harvested more!! cherry tomatoes, swiss chard, and two eight-ball zucchini squash (summer). I can barely believe I'm still getting vegies from the garden; plants should be dead and dry by now, killed by frost.

Since I have too many carrots and onions to consume in the very near future, I decided to try "root cellaring", which is a misnomer at my house since we don't have a cellar. But I needed to do something.....so I dug as deep as I could into the earth in the sunroom on the east side of the house, which still turned out to be only about 8". Then I got a strong cardboard box that formerly held 20 lbs. of peaches, and put it in the hole. I then wrapped each carrot in newsprint-type paper and laid them, stacked in two layers, in the box. On top of the carrots I placed the unwrapped onions. (Later I learned that this is not the proper storage technique for onions, so I'll probably pull them out tomorrow or later this week; they're supposed to hang in bunches in a cool dry space.) I closed up the box, and then topped it off with several sheaves of straw from bales that I had gotten from a co-worker last year. I'm hoping the straw gives the box enough protection from the midday heat that we're still having, and, once it gets cold, from the low temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment