Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hard freeze? Not yet !

We've nudged freezing temperatures with 32.1 and 32.3, but I still have productive tomato and pepper plants, and am also still harvesting swiss chard (a little more hardy!). Last night I harvested lots of cherry tomatoes and several peppers, and many LARGE carrots (see photo). The carrots are probably a little too big?? All of the red and white onions were harvested a week or so ago. I think I may be reaching the end of the harvest though, this hard frost-free period has to come to an end soon. In 2005 our first good frost was 9/15, in 2006 it was 9/17, last year it was 9/26.
Many of my perennials are still blooming - New England Aster, coreopsis, yarrow, Russian sage, and others.
We've had a huge number of tiny flying insects cruising around - my tomato vines are covered with them, they go up your nose when you're outside, crawl up shorts, and more. It's unusual and I have no idea why they're so numerous. They do seem to be attracted to water so I've covered my water containers to reduce the attraction.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. I grew the 'Bright Lights' Swiss Chard in my veggie garden because it's pretty and decorative.

    I'm thinking I might just have to eat some but I have NO clue what to do with it. What do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sorry there's been a delay in my reply but I've been lax with my blog lately. I thought I had it set to notify me when a comment came but I guess not!
    Mainly what I do with chard is to cut the thick spines out of the center of the leaf, and then tear it in pieces and saute it in olive oil & some garlic. I'm not the most imaginative cook.....plus, I enjoy the planting and maintenance phase more than the harvesting....! Marianna

    ReplyDelete