Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Radish-eating dog

I have a nearly-constant companion in my vegetable garden; she's 13 years old and her name is Caddy. She's a rescued stray we've had since 1995 (our Christmas present that year!), and her antics cause me much laughter.

I started vegetable gardening in Wisconsin the summer before we got her. I don't remember what prompted us to give her a green bean from the garden, but one of us did, and that was the start of her vegetable-eating lifestyle. Her favorites: carrots, green beans, and potatoes (all raw). She'll also eat radishes (evidenced by the photo, not a setup by the way!!), canteloupe, raspberries, parsnips, tomatoes, zucchini, and probably more that I'm forgetting.



We used to go raspberry picking with her, and she quickly learned to strip the berries off the bushes. Now if I let her, she'll come into the vegetable garden and literally strip green beans off the vines.

No comments:

Post a Comment