Sunday, November 8, 2009

Vegetable garden rearrangement

Though growing & harvesting seasons are over, the work is not yet! Yesterday & today were spent doing some moving around of the raised beds I've put in place over the last few summers. The shadow cast by the 6'-high fence is visible in the image, and three out of my four beds were in the shaded part of the garden from October through April or so. Cold & usually frozen soil would be the result; in fact, when I started this moving process yesterday I encountered already-frozen soil. Lots of energy was spent moving huge chunks of frozen dirt out into the sun where they will eventually thaw, hopefully before the next round of low temperatures arrive. What was nice to see in all of these big chunks of dirt were dozens of little worm holes; looks like I have a healthy population of worms working on my soil texture & organic matter.
Surprisingly, my compost containers that are in the shade haven't frozen yet. I also started another batch of compost in my Home Composter unit. I doubt that it'll get hot but maybe it'll warm up a little.

2 comments:

  1. Marianna, I've enjoyed looking over your blog and have subscribed via RSS feed. My sister lives in MV and although physically disabled tries to make a bit of a garden in the small patch of ground behind her home. Same issues with short growing season, fences blocking sunlight, etc. but it still gives her pleasure to try when she can. Thanks for posting your experiences here and also for the great photos.
    Best wishes for you and your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comments from Anonymous are appreciated! Many thanks - successful growing to your sister as well.

    ReplyDelete