Saturday, June 20, 2009

Litter-picking

People can be such slobs. I don't know what it is about fishing that brings out the litterers. I took the dog on a walk around our local fishing and wildlife lake this morning - trash (AKA recyclables) galore.

Since we discontinued our garbage pick-up service less than a year ago, I tend to gravitate more to picking up only the recyclables when I go walking, and believe it or not, I still get LOTS of those. Many aluminum cans, and plastic and glass bottles.

One pattern I've noticed during my litter patrols: if I come across ONE beer bottle, the other five that were in the six-pack will be not far away. That then makes me wonder what the drinking pattern is of the people who toss their beer bottles. Do they drink one beer, throw it out, then quickly drink another and toss that one? Or do they drink them all at a more leisurely pace, and then pick one up from the pile on the floor, toss it out, then leisurely pick up another one and toss that one out? The spatial spacing of the beer bottles along the road leads me to believe it's more the latter. If it were the former, the drinkers would have to gulp, and toss, the beer very speedily to match the pattern I see on the landscape.

Ahhh, the deep philosophical thoughts I have on my walks . . .

1 comment: