Thursday, May 7, 2009

Seedlings, blossoms & growth, oh my!

So much is happening in the garden! Lots of perennials are coming up that I wondered about over the winter - various penstemons, baptisia, agastache, evening primrose, much more. My little trees (serviceberry mostly) are starting to put on little buds. Lilac is about a week or so away from flowering. Cinquefoils putting on little green leaves, as are the fernbush, apache plume, alkali sacaton grasses. What a great time of year.
So far my spinach, sugar snap peas and mixed greens are poking their little heads above the soil. My tomatoes indoors are about 8" high, and all my other indoor transplants are doing great!
The image to the left is my Nanking cherry, which I planted for the birds' benefit, though it is still too small (2' high) to provide much of that. It has the most beautiful pink & white blossoms.
I haven't set up the irrigation system yet so am doing all of my watering by hand, but since the soil is not yet dried out it's not a lengthy task.
I tried to get my cold frame set up last night but the automatic opener device always causes vexing problems so I'm not finished there yet. My cole crops will go there when it's ready to go, so I can make room indoors under the lights for other seedlings.

1 comment:

  1. Hi.
    I stumbled upon your blog the other day and I was wondering if you had any recommendations on good vegetables for high altitudes.
    I am part owner of a Colorado Seed Co named Life Seed Company. and I am asked that question a lot. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    (By the way we carry a large selection of vegetable, herb, and flower seed. We have a lot of heirloom seeds and no GMOs. Most seed pkts cost $1.75 and we guarantee high quality. (most of our seeds germinate above 80%) send us an email if you are ever interested in our product at lifeseedco@msn.com Thanks!)
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete