Thursday, April 9, 2009

Onion bulblets planted

Tonight I planted the first garden plants of the season - about 40 or 50 small garden bulbs of Walla-Walla onions. They went into the newly sifted raised bed that I changed a little bit this year (extended in length and shrank in width, the latter to ease access). The planting instructions recommended each bulb be about 4-5" apart, and rows separated by about 10-12". Until I set up my drip irrigation system, they'll be hand-watered
about an inch a week.
The cool weather we've had the past couple of weeks slowed all growth down - the green shoots that had been coming up all over outside are just sitting in place, probably waiting for warm temperatures again.
Even the indoor seedlings aren't doing a whole lot; every day after work I rush into the plant room to see if anything shows noticeable growth - what I see is mostly NO. Maybe too cool? Seems like in the past there's been a visible spurt of growth not long after they're transplanted into bigger pots.
More patience is needed!

1 comment:

  1. it is still too early to plant in the slv. be sure to cover every night or they are guaranteed to freeze.

    ReplyDelete