Saturday, January 10, 2009

Snow, "blazing" sun and blue skies

Snow in the amount of 4.4 inches fell last evening. This morning it was -11 F and extremely bright once the sun rose. All our bird feeders are busy. It was about time some new snow fell so all the old & dirty stuff could be covered up. There'll be a good supply of water infiltrating the soil & roots of all my planties. As of two days ago, when we had only 8" of snow on the ground, the snow water equivalent (SWE) was 1.46", and the SWE of the 4.4" of snow we got overnight is .3".

The shrubs in the photo foreground are Apache Plume (Fallugia paradoxa), a wonderful drought-tolerant plant that does great here in the San Luis Valley. I plopped them in the ground probably my first summer here ('05), watered them somewhat consistently the first year, and now I very seldom do anything to or with them. Yet they grow well, and put on beautiful flowers which turn into plume-like seed heads that are sort of pinkish in color. I highly recommend this shrub for xeriscape areas. I bought one more this past summer that's only about 6" high, so it has a lot of growing to do to catch up with the others.

I was over at the nearby Empire Canal last night, and saw a great blue heron standing on the ice, poised over a hole in the ice--I guess it was waiting to spear something for its dinner. I always marvel when I see herons this time of year in the midst of the frozen, white landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment