Thursday, October 30, 2008

Great horned owl & sandhill cranes

I took the dog for a walk last night and saw a great horned owl - at the start of last winter I was seeing quite a few of these birds, but this is the first one I have seen so far this fall. I expect to see more as autumn passes on. I love it when they start hanging around, especially when they begin calling to one another. Last winter we had a nest not too far from the house; I hope we have another one this year. The deer near our house are also starting to follow their predictable autumn habits, and they're much more visible now during our dog walks. Sandhill cranes have taken up nearly full-time residency in a mowed barley field next door; I see them every morning on the way to work and in the evening on the way home. If we EVER get a storm they'll probably think about leaving, but the weather has been consistently sunny and warm, unlike last year when it was cold and even snowy by now. Personally I am ready for some inclement weather.
Trick or treat comes tomorrow. The time change on Sunday will be a shock when darkness falls by 5:30 pm or so, but having daylight earlier in the AM will be good for riding the bike to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment