Sunday, September 7, 2008

Missing caterpillar and more

I'm really sorry to say that my monarch larva is gone. I discovered this a few days ago when I went to check on its size and take a picture. Boo-hoo! I wonder if a bird found it? Seems unlikely since the caterpillars hang out on the underside of the milkweed leaves. Dang! Haven't seen any other 'pillars either, which is kind of unusual.

It feels like we're having a somewhat early autumn, at least where temperatures are concerned - had a very light and spotty frost last Wednesday or Thursday AM. Some of my bean plants and a few squash leaves were affected. Leaves are beginning to change colors on some trees, especially on the cottonless cottonwood tree in our front yard. My Russian sages, New England asters, and sedums are abuzz with flies and bees - they must like this time of year when such goodies are abloom. Photo to right is of a blooming Russian sage with a bee hanging on.

Harvest today was a bunch of green and yellow beans, tomatoes, and radishes. Green beans have been put in the freezer, and the tomatoes & radishes will be eaten!

No comments:

Post a Comment